PLD - Yolanda Soryl



If I was to summarise the key things I took away from this Professional Development what would they be and why?

• Teach (Phonics) >> Model through Shared Reading >> Demand students to use what they've learnt in phonics during guided reading. By using this scaffold and having the high expectations of using new learning, students are set up for success.
• That phonics is short and sharp. Lessons are specifically designed and structured to support teachers and learners of phonics. It's also beneficial when it's sprinkled throughout the school day - so rather than 'sit and talk amongst yourselves for 2 minutes before the bell goes' or while waiting for other students to come to the mat, revise phonics. Useful and great use of time.
• Key phrases that I remember from the day:
"Hear > Read > Write" - students need to hear first, read second and then write.
"Does it look right? Sound right? Make sense?" - teacher model think aloud when working so that students start to pick up on that common language.

How has this professional development challenged my thinking?

It hasn't challenged, rather consolidated and reminded me of things from first undertaking this PLD in 2017.
The importance of flashcards - simple and not being dolled up, structure and specific details of lessons plans in the teaching manual, that phonics is fun, interactive and effective when taught correctly.

What aspects of my practice would I consider changing as a result of this professional development and why?

Being spread out across the school this year, I aim to pick up from where classroom teachers are currently teaching and continue for when I am in there. I will continue to work on being patient, but also demand when I need to be demanding.

Watch youtube videos of Yolanda teaching phonics and then film myself teaching. Watch, reflect, rinse, repeat. 

I aim to sprinkle phonics meaningfully throughout the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TAPASA

What's the challenge? What's my challenge?

Welcome to ... Keeping up with Mrs Faalili 2022