GTS M&M Catch Up

M&M Catch Up - Manaiakalani & a Masters

I enjoy our catchups. This catchup was set in the holidays and lockdown didn't stop us. 
In our team at GTS we have Chris, myself, Christine, Elena, Tania, Manpreet, Aimee with Manaiakalani roles and Johanna working on her Masters, hence the name M&Ms. 

The most recent CoL PLG, we were given time to talanoa and connect with other CoL teachers. In this talanoa, I connected with Christine Tupou-Fonua from GTS and Dorothy Apelu from Tamaki College. From this Talanoa we were inspired to create something new for our students, bridging that gap between Year 8 and high school and are looking into creating a mentoring group that will help with this. 

Working with Hiss Hass Hoos boys this term - 3 times a week, Tuesday-Thursday 1:30 -2:15. I'd noticed that we'd spend almost have the time eating (leftovers from the staffroom) and so I tried changing it. The boys weren't having it. They were upset that I'd changed it so it went back to after lunch. Although there was good talanoa, I was still worried about the time it took out of our lesson. After this catch up - a different perspective was shared. By having it after lunch, the boys are coming up eagerly because they know that there is food there for them and that there was a space for them to chill away from the classroom. This environment is special - so why was I trying to take it away? My learning is to roll with this and, if it works with their teacher - extend the time so they are with me for the entire block rather than just 45 minutes. This allows time for eating, checking in and then putting in the work. 

In regards to my AS CoL role, it is chugging along. This term I am working with one teacher, instead of the two from last term and this teacher is taking all 3 classes for maths. This teacher is very open and all is working well so far. We're getting better at communicating - it ain't perfect but it's getting better. 

Now that we're sitting in lockdown - the goal is to stay connected with those who I work with; The Hiss Hass Hoos Boys and also the teacher I am working with Across School.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TAPASA

What's the challenge? What's my challenge?

Welcome to ... Keeping up with Mrs Faalili 2022