The power of Talanoa

 Finding your voice in a digital world

Core Education blog post - Kit Haynes; Head of English Kelston Boys High School

The power of talanoa. This reading is another one that supports what I know and believe to be powerful and effective in teaching, when done right. After sitting through a range of video calls with students this morning, popping in and engaging with what was happening in their class, with the goal to stay connected and support, I couldn't help but think 'Dang, I wish I had my own class because I'd be doing it way differently'. This has led to me write this reflection because I know at a point last year, I came to the conclusion that I spoke too much during our class calls. Way too much. And at that point I had to make a change, allowing students to share more, talk more.

The bit that got me was the 'just mute your microphone' as kids are coming in phrase. So damn true. Even sitting here, now, a year later and still saying that in calls is off putting. While, yes there is a time for 'just mute your microphone' if we are wanting to provide our students with a space to share openly and safely, then 'just mute your microphone' is not the way to go. I've popped in to several video calls the past week and have celebrated with students hosting the calls

Looking at our learners who are attending the video calls, just like in this short reading, they are there - but are they engaged? So, the question I ask myself is... what can I do to get our learners ENGAGED in talanoa during their video calls.

Teachers must reflect on their practice. Although the platform for us in this moment has changed (sitting in a digital world) we still have an important job - to teach, stay connected. Just like last time, teachers must watch one of their recorded lessons and another teacher of their choice, think critically about their practice in this digital world and make changes to their own. When we did this last year, I remember the moment when I said to myself 'DAMN I TALK TOO MUCH' and so knew that I had to change this, give the time and space for my learners to talk. While this may seem easy for some - it may not others, which then begs the question ... what next for them? The reading that was shared (linked at the top) shared a simple suggestion which is manageable for all 'SHOW AND TELL' and then allow time and space for students to ask questions and respond. I think back to a week ago, supporting a colleague in being in a senior classroom and listening to her worries. My reply; Just be present and let them do it. Let them run the session. They know what to do, and if they don't they'll ask.

So maybe that's what we all need to do - Just be present and let them do it. Let our students run our sessions. Of course, spare some time to go over the learning tasks, but again, if they don't know, then they will ask.

By reflecting, teachers will hopefully see that some of them just talk too much. Hopefully. If not - then there might be a need to just deliberately tell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the challenge? What's my challenge?

TAPASA

Welcome to ... Keeping up with Mrs Faalili 2022