Bursts and bubbles

Yesterday we had the opportunity to share with the Manaiakalani team and fellow CoL teachers, our journey for our CoL inquiry.

My question: What changes can I make in my practice to lift achievement for Reading for all students, with a particular focus on boys?
My intervention: using ALL strategies to target my learners. A.L.L (Accelerated Learning in Literacy)

I had 3 minutes to share - some of the things I covered in my presentation were:

  1. How the ALL strategies were implemented in my class
  2. What happened for the learners
  3. What evidence do I have
  4. What did I do to make it happen
  5. Wonderings/Next Steps
I also shared some of the changes that had an impact on my learners
1 . using ALL strategies to accelerate learning. I used front loading and double dosing a lot in my lessons. This provided a great vehicle for talanoa during my sessions. 
2. Changing the way that I introduced and taught comprehension strategies before diving into a text. 
3. Allowing time to learn, practice and share new strategies
4. Moving on and coming back/revising when necessary
5. Using their likes to find texts to hook them into reading e.g. NBA, animals, geography.
6. Providing time to do free choice reading - current events and sports articles were a hit and allowing them to read freely. 
7. Talanoa with our families - sharing what why and how





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the challenge? What's my challenge?

TAPASA

Welcome to ... Keeping up with Mrs Faalili 2022