End of Term 1 - CRAZY TIMES with Home Learning and Teaching

Self Reflection

Name of Course/Programme/Seminar:
No course - just jumping in the deep end with what we know and using it for lock down. I'm calling this HOME LEARNING 1.0
Provider/Presenter:
Fiona - google hangouts. Chris & Johanna- Distant teaching and learning.
If I was to summarise the key things I took away from this Professional Development what would they be and why?
Google hangouts.

This was new learning. We jumped in - with what we knew and set it up. It worked, well, I thought it did. Until kids were on it super late at night.
New learning - set it up right, from the beginning.

Teaching through the screen
Even though we are 1:1, and have been for some time, I don't think anything would've prepared me for this.
-My planning and class site has changed and evolved with the needs of this time (constantly thinking about what my students are able to do (digitally) and of the resources they may or may not have at home that may block them from participating in an activity e.g. colour pencils, paper, glue sticks etc). My site and planning look completely different today, the last day of term, than what it did going into the lockdown. It's constantly evolving (or devolving if that's a word) based on what my learners are able to do digitally.
- The power of my instructions. Specific and go slow. Remembering that my learners are only Y4 and Y5, some only having their device for a couple of days. Everyone is at a different stage in their google journey. Allow time to help them.
- Patience. Breathe. Even if they ask again that they don't get it. Find another way to explain it.
- Questioning. Specifically ask students who normally struggle/question to explain the task before leaving the google hangout.
- Screencasts are my new best friend. Thank you.
- Blogs and cybersmart teaching. Should've done it more at school then my learners would've been more prepared.
How has this professional development challenged my thinking?
Constantly thinking:
- about 'the how' and 'the different ways' that I am going to differentiate learning activities for my learners
- if there's a better way to explain this for the ones who need extra support
- about fun and engaging activities that encourage creativity without putting a strain on parents
- about how much teaching vs maintenance there is while we are teaching through the screen
- about how AWESOME my screencasts are (better collect some student voice on this)
What aspects of my practice would I consider changing as a result of this professional development and why?
- The power of my questions and instructions to ensure that my learners are understanding me through the screen and so that when they jump off, they know what they are doing and why.
- The pace of my instructions, making sure that I'm not racing ahead, and giving my learners time to learn how to navigate the site/work
- Not feeling guilty about spending time learning about google apps (drawing, docs etc) in this moment. Teach them. Use my amazing screencasts to support them in the process of learning how to use google apps and navigate their drive.
- Displaying work to students; do what works for them and not for me. Organise it and make it visibly easy for them to navigate through the work - which means site and work presentation will change next term.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the challenge? What's my challenge?

TAPASA

Welcome to ... Keeping up with Mrs Faalili 2022