Professional Reading #1

Title of Book/Reading/Study Programme

How can a makerspace in the school setting support increased motivation, engagement, and achievement for Pasifika and Maori learners?

Author/s or Lecturer/s or Speaker/s

Rebecca Bishop and Savelina Lepou

Synopsis

An article report on a teacher-led inquiry at Mt Roskill Primary School from 2016-2017. Teachers worked with a group of Pasifika and Maori students to deveop a learning environment and use pedagogies inspired by the makerspace movement. Data on students' engagement and achievement levels indicated positive development in the key competencies, practical skills, and learning behaviours of these students. Through student voice we discovered what learning strategies were of benefit to these students.

Motivation

Professional reading was shared with me by Christine T as a part of our CoL inquiry.

How will it help me? How has it helped me?

The important takeaways from this article
• Make students a part of the process (the planning, the doing, the after)
• Allowing the time to be able to plan, create, reflect
• Power of student voice and choice
• Technology - ensuring that learning tasks are accessible for ALL learners.
• Purposeful and transferrable learning - how can I help support my learners to be able to transfer any learning to a real life situation (e.g. outside the class to inside the class and vice versa)

So What?

Look into my LCS teaching and planning and start this fale building process with my learners. Include them in the EVERYTHING. The planning. The research. The creation. EVERYTHING.

CoL - connects to my hypothesis 'If I provide real life, hands on, authentic learning experiences, THEN my students will have rich ideas to write about.'

How can I use this to support their learning and encourage them to transfer it to other areas of learning and life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the challenge? What's my challenge?

TAPASA

Welcome to ... Keeping up with Mrs Faalili 2022