Sheena Cameron & Louise Dempsey PLD - A balanced Reading programme

Name of Course/Programme/Seminar:
A balanced reading programme - reviewing the approaches
Provider/Presenter:
Sheena Cameron & Louise Dempsey
If I was to summarise the key things I took away from this Professional Development what would they be and why?
The importance of Shared Reading
Guided sessions compliment the learning in shared reading
Explicit teaching of reading is important at all levels
Top 3 comprehension strategies; self monitoring, summarising and inferring
Have a balanced reading programme
Start reading lessons with proverbs to encourage critical thinking
Reading process - critical thinking, cracking the code, comprehension
How has this professional development challenged my thinking?
This PLD reminded me of how important Reading is.
It's excited me to get into my planning and teaching of Reading
The need to reintroduce Shared Reading to my programme and to use shared reading to support the learning in guided reading.
What aspects of my practice would I consider changing as a result of this professional development and why?
The planning, to include Shared Reading and how that would look like in the week.
A change in my daily menu, allowing the time to teach reading - now in the 2nd block.
Introducing independent activities, week by week to build a bank of activities that support the reading and learning.
To encourage more student talk, start literacy off with oral language - rhyming words, image talk, proverbs, riddles
Do more WALK & TALK, SPEECH/THOUGHT/QUESTION bubbles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the challenge? What's my challenge?

TAPASA

Welcome to ... Keeping up with Mrs Faalili 2022