Lunch date with my boys

One of the many lockdown struggles with this group of boys has been trying to get them connected in their calls, by choice. Wanting to connect in. Each time I'd pop on their calls, there was only ever 1 or 2 of them connected. This has been ongoing, since we first went into lockdown. 

You would've seen on a previous post that I had sent my group of boys an email in an attempt to connect in with them. 

Today we got to catch up and how good it was to finally connect with them and just chill. We spent a small bit just talking about how home learning is going, the struggles etc and then spent the rest of it just listening and laughing to their stories.  Today reminded me that we, as educators need to be going the extra mile for our tamariki. It's not detailed in our job description but I believe that this is a way to break down barriers and build on our connections with our tamariki and whanau. Why should we go the extra mile? Because if we don't, who will? If we don't, we could potentially lose them in this new normal. It's what we do. If you are able to, then do it. Want to, but can't or don't know how? Reach out and find the support so that it can be done. 

It was so good to see them, have a feed together and enjoy the laughs. I am hoping that we will be able to connect again onsite before the end of the year, but we're all aware that it may not be the case. Whatever happens, I know that these boys have trusted me and felt safe within the group, enough to take over my office, or their office as they call it, apologise and learn from their mistakes and yell out as I'm leaving their food 'Thanks Miss! Love you Miss!' 

This was the boost that I needed to keep me going through lockdown, which left me wondering, what is it that my boys need to keep them going through lockdown and home learning. Some wonderings that I now have after checking in with them are ... 

• If they're struggling to connect - why? Is it the pace of lessons? The content? Lack of routine? Family things come first? Simply don't want to? 
• In my role and the flexibility that I have this year, what else can I do to support them to connect in with their class teacher and complete the learning tasks? 
• The importance of connecting. This lunch date made me realise how much I miss them and connecting with them on a personal level. We spend so much of our time drilling data, new learning that sometimes the connection is pushed to the passenger seat. 

I do what I do because I know that our tamariki need it. For us to go the extra mile, because if we don't, then who will? 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the challenge? What's my challenge?

TAPASA

Welcome to ... Keeping up with Mrs Faalili 2022