Teaching as Inquiry

Bitmoji Image
What changes can I make in my current teaching practice (Reading) so that I am more effective in addressing the WALT/LI? (Student learning focus)


Hypotheses:
Here are some of the things that I am currently doing in my class in Reading that I feel is making a difference:
Speak pipe: recording of self reading. Building on fluency and clarity. Providing feedback specific to that. A.L.L group: a target group with 6-7 students seeing 3 times a week, using specific ALL strategies to promote learning
Less able group being seen by either myself or Support Staff everyday for either reading or word building
Trying to find a balance between hard copied text (book) and online resources (digital texts).

Some of the things I aim to change in my teaching practice:
To make reading strategies from LLP visible for all learners so that they have more ownership over their next learning step/goals.
After having success with sharing the Maths School Matrices with my learners, I am positive that
this will have the same impact. By sharing this with my learners, I am trusting and allowing them to have
more of a say in what they are learning, something that I noticed that wanted more of when I collected
student voice earlier this term. By doing this, they are becoming responsible and accountable learners. In order for this to be successful, I, myself must be confident in the school matrices for Reading
and building my knowledge of the Literacy Learning Progressions. Questions that I am always asking myself....
What does it look like for my learners?
How can I support them in the learning journey?
What changes do I need to make so that they are engaged, motivated and learning?



To use hard copied books/texts for ALL learning groups (not just digital), finding that balance between
digital vs hard copy 
Finding the right text is proving to be much tricker than I anticipated. Even though I'm already making a more deliberate choice to find and use hard copied texts - it's a bit easier to just default to digital resources. We do have a bunch of awesome Reading resources that are hard copies as well as digital resources that I am currently using with my learners and it's AWESOME. High engagement. Comprehension questions. Activities supporting the text all given.


Be specific and meaningful in the texts that are chosen to support the teaching and learning of
new strategies. 
After collecting student voice with my ALL group and identifying patterns and information to help planning for them in Reading, one of them, being the types of things they want to read and learn about - I want to find texts that my learners want to read about. Non-Fiction seems to be what they like to read - so my job is to find texts that they want to read about and making it link to our current LCS topic in school. This way I am doing a bit of front loading, double dosing and then can focus on specific strategies in guided sessions. I'll also be building on vocabulary - which is another goal of mine.

Build on vocabulary teaching


Resources/Materials used:
Literacy Learning Progressions
School Matrices
Effective Learning in Literacy (ELP Y5-8)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the challenge? What's my challenge?

TAPASA

Welcome to ... Keeping up with Mrs Faalili 2022