PLD - Maths Symposium

Click on image to Personal Notes from PLD 

Provider/Presenter:

Workshop 1 - Sue Pine Inquiry Based Mathematics: It’s just effective pedagogy!

Workshop 2 - Lucie Cheeseman Mathematical Discovery - exploring visual mathematics and the art of “Make and Create”

If I was to summarise the key things I took away from this Professional Development what would they be and why?

The need to think about the DATs in my teaching of maths and how I can use this to further support the learning of my students. By being deliberate I am maximising this window of learning for my students.

The need to 'make and create' for mathematical learning, that it's not just about Using Materials to support their learning of concepts. Students should be given opportunities to make choices of which materials and also to physically or digitally make and create a visual representation of mathematical concepts.

The importance and need for low floor, high ceiling type of number problems, problems that encourage and foster the korero between students. These problems aren't closed and are based around a number strategy, rather the big mathematical ideas.

The connection between Inquiry Based Maths and Learning Progressions Framework for Maths >>> that it's the big idea driving the teaching of mathematical concepts rather than the strategy.

Our brains think about math VISUALLY - that we need to be providing students with hands on opportunities to not only use materials but to use materials to make and create mathematical concepts.

How has this professional development challenged my thinking?
- How effective is my Maths programme? Content knowledge is not an issue, I feel, but rather the ways in which I am teaching math concepts/supporting the exploration of math concepts.
- Thinking about my own practice and teaching in maths, how often am I hindering the opportunities for STUDENT TO STUDENT talk? How much of the korero in my class student to teacher to student? - Too much probably.
- Do I, as teacher, have mathematical patience for my learners to see and solve a math concept in multiple ways? - Probably not.
- How do I provide opportunities for my learners to make connections to mathematical discovery? - Not a lot.

What aspects of my practice would I consider changing as a result of this professional development and why?

As a result of this PLD, I want to spend time unpacking the connection between the LPF and Inquiry Based Maths Approach. I have been given a contact to another school who are currently using both LPF/PACT Tool and this inquiry based maths approach and will seek to touch base, hopefully visit and observe what this looks like both in the classroom but behind the scenes with planning as well.

I will KEEP using materials, however I'll be more deliberate with these and provide a range of purposeful materials for students to use to MAKE AND CREATE to support their learning of a mathematical concept.
I will STOP using closed word problems with my learners and think/find low floor, high ceiling number problems that allow students to explore the problem (having more than one possible answer). Limiting my learners to 1 answer problems is detrimental to the exploration of mathematical concepts.
I will START thinking about the student korero in my class, ensuring that I'm not the driver of conversation, rather the students are talking about concepts with each other. This will need to be taught and using Term 4/End of year-itis is not an excuse to not start - so we will be working on this in Room 9, even though it is nearing the end of year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the challenge? What's my challenge?

TAPASA

Welcome to ... Keeping up with Mrs Faalili 2022