Preliminary Findings - Introducing the Hiss Hass Hoos Boys

Identifying a target group to work with this year, more than other years was quite tricky. Because I don't have my own classroom this year, I have the lucky opportunity to work with students across our whole school and therefore am able to pick and identify students from Y0-Y8. This year, my target group identified are a group of 5 Pasifika Year 7/8 Boys who are all learning below/well below their expected year group in all Reading, Writing and Maths. 

The collection of data (assessments, student voice, teacher observations, my own observations) lead me to find the following trends: 

Punctuality - Ready for learning
These boys were in no rush to get to school. They were often late (3-4 a week), sometimes rolling up to school after 9:30am. 'Slept in' was the most common reason for coming late.This made me wonder 'why there was no sense of urgency to get to school', 'what is happening in class/school for them that isn't motivating them to come' followed by 'what can I do to change how they feel about school and instill a sense of urgency for their learning?'.

Low motivation and confidence in all learning areas
When gathering data for the group, the biggest upset and battle I came across was that they didn't believe in themselves. They compared themselves to each other and in doing so kept putting themselves down. Their assessment data showed that they were working 3-4 years below the expected level for their year, with the exception of P.R (Year 7 student), who was operating at a Year 6 level.  These boys had a fixed mindset - one that I was excited to hopefully help change. 

Purpose and learning styles
All students in this group identified that they found it hard to concentrate in the classroom because of the noise and distraction from other peers. During my observation, I saw exactly what it was that these boys came across every day - off task behaviour, lack of structure in their day, the multiple interruptions and super loud noise levels. They identified that they learn best when either in a small group or working on their own in their own space. Initially, I had planned to run this group in their classroom as I wanted it to be a part of their classroom routine, however, this may need to change to suit their needs. 

Another finding was in our talanoa, these students lacked clarity and purpose for their learning. They all saw it as 'Oh, because our teacher said we have to do it'. This excites me because last year, my CoL focus was around providing students with authentic learning experiences so that they have something to write about. With this target group, I aim to take an integrated approach to their learning, something that I have already spoken to them about - why an integrated approach, how we're going to do this and ideas of what we are going to do. 

Learning needs 

With this group of boys, there is so much to do - so little time. Their assessment data shows that these boys need something different to happen because whatever we have been doing - hasn't been working and isn't making the accelerated progress that we need for them. After analysing their assessment data, comprehension and vocabulary are consistent struggles for this group of boys. From last year's learning, I know that by providing my learners with authentic learning experiences, building on their prior experiences, and making connections to the relevant vocabulary, that great learning shifts can be made. 

Through this integrated inquiry into my own teaching, I am aim to:
• Be culturally responsive in my approach with the group
• Make explicit connections to their frames of reference, using what they are interested in to drive the learning we are going to do.
Plan for their specific needs, aiming to close that gap as effectively as we can.
Plan for and create authentic learning experiences to build language
• Motivate and encourage them to be engaged in our learning
• Support them in having a growth mindset 
• Support them in being accountable for their own learning







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the challenge? What's my challenge?

TAPASA

Welcome to ... Keeping up with Mrs Faalili 2022