Blogpost #10 - Ways of monitoring the effects? How will I keep a record?

Identify informal & formal ways I am monitoring the effects of my changed practices on learner outcomes. Explain the reflections and tweaks I am making along the way. Describe how I will keep a record of each of the above in a manageable way
The best way, I feel for me to monitor the effects of my changed practice at this point in time is to do so on a weekly or a bi-weekly basis. Each week, my writers are writing more and more and by choosing a sample from their weekly work, analysing it will give me an idea of their gaps and what I need to focus on for the following week. This will be done for the select students (my star writers) that fit in the groups identified from the end of year data for writing last year.

'Interleading' is a great way to monitor and reflect my own teaching and practice. The use of relevant templates and critical thinking allows me to really dig deep and think about further changes or tweaks I can make in my teaching practice.

Collection of student voice regularly, through google forms, padlet, interlead, provides good evidence and an opportunity to see whether or not there's any shift or change in my practice. A lot of discussion and reminders about being HONEST when completing student voice, especially when it is in regards to my teaching. "Don't be nice. Be mean. I won't be offended. I want to be the best that I can be and if you tell me nice things - then I can't get better." is what I tell my learners. I've seen far too many 'kind' comments in regards to my teaching and these comments have been a waste of time. They aren't productive in any means. So, 'Don't be nice. Be mean. I won't be offended' is what I tell my learners all the time. You can see in the student voice blog post about writing that some students were very very honest.
For example:
• "Let us plan our writing more" - this tells me that this student wants more planning time. It also forces me to reflect on my delivery and planning. I've gone back into my planning and there isn't much time allocated to the planning of writing, something I am working on changing and making it deliberate in the plan and teaching of writing.
• When is writing easy for you - "after morning tea". We are currently have writing in the morning, and our reading block after morning tea. This is so that when students have 'Work on Writing' as part of their Daily 5 rotation, they can work on the writing that was unfinished from the first block. What this response tells me is that this child works better in Writing after morning tea. Is it because the time outside has given them energy and a buzz so that they can write? Is it because they have food in their puku? This is something that will be refined over time.
• One that has popped over a few of the questions is around 'confusion when I don't understand what to do'. This has made me think about the way in which I 'explain' the task, expectations and if I am asking the right questions. One of my 'ah-ha!' moments during Home Learning Part 2 is how willing my learners are at explaining and answering questions about their tasks, most often directed at me, the teacher. Handing it over to them allows for me to step back, watch and listen to my learners help and teach each other, something that I know to do, but often do it myself, just because. I aim to do this more, especially when we are back onsite at school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the challenge? What's my challenge?

TAPASA

Welcome to ... Keeping up with Mrs Faalili 2022