Blog Post #6 - 2. Explain the hypotheses about teaching that you decided were MOST worth testing, and why.

As identified in my previous post (Blog post #5 - describing my process for developing my hypothesis), my hypothesis were:

  • IF I provide real life, hands on, authentic learning experiences, THEN my students will have rich ideas to write about.
  • IF I see my target students 3 times a week for focussed sessions (deeper features for writing) THEN I can provide them with specific, structured sessions that will allow me to give relevant and timely feedback/feedforward.
  • IF I teach my students at Level 3 of the curriculum THEN we are working faster to bridge the gap in their learning.
  • IF my planning shows integration, THEN my students will be working across the curriculum, thus providing them with more opportunities to consolidate new learning.
  • IF I choose specific features of writing to focus on for the week e.g. vocabulary, THEN this will allow them to see the progress/next steps of their learning in writing.

The hypotheses about teaching that I decided were MOST worth testing have been highlighted above. While I understand and am aware that I do this with my learners, I aim to be more specific with what I teach and pace my lessons so that my students aren't 'left behind'. I also aim to use more literature to support the changes that I will implement with my learners.

The reason why I have chosen these as my hypotheses is because I know that it works! I know that if my learners experience something, then they will have something to write about. Supporting them through the writing process is where we will:
  • Talanoa. Talk about the experience openly and honestly. Understand WHO we are writing for, WHY we are writing, WHAT we are writing. The HOW is the LEARNING JOURNEY for my writers.
  • Vocab. Identify key words along the way that we can use in our writing. Unpack and understand them so that we can use them effectively in our writing.
  • Planning & editing. Going through the teaching process of planning our writing, then editing it, changing again if we need to.
  • Recraft. Going through the process so ensure that WHO we are writing for will UNDERSTAND what we are writing.
  • Share & celebrate.
As Year 4 & 5 learners, currently working at Level 1A/2B, extending them and teaching them at level 3 will be a fun challenge. My star writers are ready. They're up for the challenge. I'm excited to jump in their waka and journey together. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the challenge? What's my challenge?

TAPASA

Welcome to ... Keeping up with Mrs Faalili 2022